Social Media Updates for Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp
During the ‘FB developer conference 2019’ there were some key announcements regarding Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp. Overall, the overarching focus is on privacy. But, there were significant developments for other areas of each social app.
- Major re-design of the Facebook app. With a focus on private groups and local communities.
- Facebook will also focus on dating, similar features to Tinder.
- Focusing on more ways to interact with followers while downplaying statistics that stress people out. I.E. followers, likes and comments.
- Testing a system that will hide likes on a person’s feed, so you can “focus on the photos and videos you share, not how many likes they get”. The feature will get a trial run in Canada, and if it proves popular, they will roll it out across other countries.
- Instagram Stories and posts will no longer have to start with a photo or a video, it will be possible to share content using just text, stickers or drawings thanks to a new “create” camera mode.
- Spark AR is coming to Instagram. Brands will be able to create AR filters for people to use in their Stories.
WhatsApp & Messenger
- You will be able to Direct Message across Instagram, Messenger and WhatsApp.
- Messenger and WhatsApp will be end-to-end encryption by default.
- You will be able to pay and send money on WhatsApp. It is currently being tested in India.
- Close friends Instagram stories will be visible in Messenger.